Tuesday, January 02, 2007

GRIFFIN AND SABINE

One evening I was talking with a friend about personal mythology - that internal world of characters and events that constantly runs inside us like a movie. Our conversation drifted towards ways and means of expressing that inner arena and, naturally enough, I found myself thinking about Griffin and Sabine.Initially, I had many reasons for telling their tale: to express my ideas around the balance between love and fear, male and female, body and mind, and, for that matter, word and image. I noticed that they steadily took on a life of their own - a pattern of cause and effect. Not only did the characters seem to be determining their destiny but events within the story started to spill over into my own life. Surprisingly these "outcomings" weren't disturbing; in fact they felt quite natural. It was as if the "extra" in extraordinary was inevitable. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the degree to which sharing Griffin and Sabine would leave me feeling like my children had left home - or the resonance such an intimate exposition would have with so many others. For your camaraderie, I thank you. In the ten years since the first book was published, numerous experiences and insights that have thrown new light on the lives of Griffin Moss and Sabine Strohem. And in order to gain a deeper understanding of their relationship and landscape, I decided to make a few notes. I have to admit that I was completely unprepared for what was to happen next. Within half an hour of beginning to jot down my thoughts, I realized that I was not making notes. I wasn't analyzing at all. I was. I was picking up where I'd left off and was, to my amazement, creating a whole new work. I'd felt so sure that the story of Griffin and Sabine was finished. But I was very wrong, because the words and images came tumbling out of me at a rate I could barely keep up with.

No comments: